I am SO excited to share this recipe with you! I was having an off day yesterday so I decided to make something that makes me happy. Okay, all desserts make me happy.. but these make me the happiest! What is better than home made lemon-bars? NOTHING! Growing up, lemon bars have always been a favorite of my brothers and mine. Luckily, I have a lemon tree in my backyard so fortunately (and also unfortunately) it makes it very convenient to crank these out all the time. Try it out and tell me what you think!
How pretty are they?!
For the shortbread layer:
2 Cups flour
3/4 Cup powdered sugar
12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) Salted Butter, room temperature
For the lemon topping:
1 2/3 Cups granulated sugar
1/3 Cup flour
4 small lemons, juiced (this should make about 3/4 Cup of lemon juice)
1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Line a 9X13 inch pan with foil, wax paper or parchment paper.
(For the shortbread)
2. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, whip the butter until smooth. Slowly add the flour and powdered sugar, scraping down the sides as needed until incorporated. Once it forms a cohesive dough, press it evenly into the bottom of the pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown.
(For the lemon topping)
3. While the shortbread is baking, squeeze your lemons and set aside. Wash and dry your stand mixer OR use a separate bowl if you're not in the mood to clean dishes (worst part, right?)
4. With a whisk attachment in the stand mixer or a with a whisk in a separate bowl, mix the eggs until they are pale and fluffy. Slowly add the sugar and flour until combined. Then add the lemon juice (make sure there are no seeds!) and mix.
5. When the shortbread is done in the oven, pour the lemon mixture over the shortbread (yes, while its hot is OKAY! You can also let the shortbread cool and pour the lemon mixture then too.) Bake for about 30 minutes. The top should be a light brown and it should jiggle a bit. Once it is cooled, dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!