WOW HOW EXCITING! A CUPCAKE THAT LOOKS LIKE A PIE! ...and they taste like both! These cupcakes have a cinnamon cake base, filled with yummy apple pie filling and topped with a Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting. Perfect for a Friendsgiving or Thanksgiving get together. Gotta love the holidays, right? Okay let's get going.
***In addition to the cinnamon cupcake ingredients and the salted caramel buttercream ingredients, you will also need 2 frosting tips: #7 & #12 AND apple pie filling. You can make the filling yourself or buy it from the store- I chose store bought because it's so darn good and saves plenty of time!
For the cupcakes:
6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) salted butter, at room temperature
1 Cup Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs, at room temperature
1 Cup Vanilla Yogurt (I used non-fat)
1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
1+3/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1+1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
3/4 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon
1/4 Teaspoon Salt
For the Salted Caramel Frosting frosting:
1 Cup (2 sticks) salted butter, at room temperature
1 Teaspoon Butter Extract
5 to 6 Cups powdered sugar, depending on how stiff you like your frosting. I used 5
1/4 Cup Salted Caramel Sauce (I used Trader Joe's Brand)
1/2 Teaspoon Sea Salt
For the cupcakes: (Makes about 16 cupcakes)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar for at least 1 minute, until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until incorporated, scraping down the sides as needed. Then add the the yogurt, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Careful not to over-mix.
4. Spoon the batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 full and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and transfer cupcakes to a wire cooling rack. Let cool completely before frosting.
NOTE*** If you want to make this batter into a cake, bake for 20-22 minutes for 2 8-inch rounds.
For the Salted Caramel Buttercream frosting:
1. In a stand mixer with a whisk attachment or in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the butter until creamy. Add the butter extract and salt. Then, slowly add one cup of powdered sugar at a time- whisk on low so it doesn't blow up in your face. Then once it's all incorporated, add the salted caramel sauce. Whisk for at LEAST 3-5 minutes. This helps the frosting become light and fluffy. Set aside.
NOW FOR THE EXTRA FUN PART!!
Here is how to frost these bad boys:
Step 1: Grab a beautifully baked cinnamon cupcake- make sure its completely cooled!
Step 2: Core part of the top off- I tilted my knife slightly down while cutting and left about 1/4 inch of cake towards the liner for room to frost.
Step 3: Fill the cute little cake with about 1 Tablespoon of apple pie filling. I had to chop up the apples a bit because they came in large chunks.
Step 4: Put your frosting in a piping bag with the smaller tip (#7) and draw three lines across the top of the cake. Then slightly turn your cupcake and frost three more lines so they make an X shape. NOTE** If you do not have piping bags or frosting tips- HAVE NO FEAR! You can use a plastic sandwich bag. Been there, done that!
Step 5: Now use the #12 frosting tip and squeeze & wiggle the frosting around the rim of the cupcake until it reaches where you started. Easy as pie, right?
I hope you all have a happy Thanksgiving! Don't forget to share this recipe with friends and family!!