Guys. I've created something beautiful.
These brownies are by far my favorite healthy creation. They're dairy-free, gluten-free and made without refined sugar. Instead, I used coconut sugar (which you can't even taste the coconut) and apple sauce! And the best part? I made the batter in under 10 minutes. The fastest, best tasting brownies ever. AND THEY'RE HEALTHY. What?!
These babies are incredibly moist from the water content in the zucchini and the chocolate chips give them the perfect balance of sweetness and sin.. Without the guilt!
Now the frosting on the other hand is made with butter (which can be substituted with coconut oil) and brown sugar so if you're really trying to go the healthy route, the brownies are incredible enough to eat without it.
FOR THE BROWNIES:
3/4 Cup of coconut sugar
1/4 Cup unsweetened applesauce
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 Cup Gluten-Free Flour
1/2 cup sifted Cocoa Powder (I prefer Trader Joes brand)
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
a large pinch of salt
1 large zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)
3/4 Cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE COOKIE DOUGH FROSTING:
1/2 Cup of salted butter, room temperature (can be substituted with room temperature coconut oil)
3/4 Cup organic dark brown sugar
1+1/4 Cup Gluten Free Flour
1 Teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons non-dairy creamer (I used French vanilla)
2/3 Cup semi sweet chocolate chips
FOR THE BROWNIES:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8X8 OR 8X11 inch baking dish with foil and spray with a nonstick spray.
2. Place all ingredients EXCEPT CHOCOLATE CHIPS in a blender and blend just until smooth. Don't over mix!!
3. Pour batter into the pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a Toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool while you make the frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING:
1. In a stand mixer or in a large bowl with a whisk, mix together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Then add the flour, salt and creamer and mix until smooth. It should be a frosting consistency. If it's too watery, add more creamer.
2. With a large spoon fold in chocolate chips. Try not to eat it all before it's done!